The talk about ‘women empowerment’ has surely increased because of the campaign that our government did to become the present, so here is a an article about all those women out in India who got out there in the real world, struggled hard and finally achieved their dreams, yes! I am talking about the women entrepreneurs! So here is a list of the top most women entrepreneurs in our country. The Entrepreneurs
1 .Kiran Mazumdar Shah (CMD, BIOCON): A major success story, when the daughter of a master brewer at UB, founded a company that supplied industrial enzymes. Later she turned it into a big pharma firm, and addressed the need of medicines for diabetes and cancer, she became a social activist too, and she is giving to the society through Biocon Foundation, the credits for the change on the biotech global profile can be given to her.
2. Ritu Kumar (Fashion Designer): this success story can be an inspiration for all the girls in the Fashion world, or who are inspiring to be great fashion designers, Ritu started her business in a small village near Kolkata, with four hand block printers and two tables, and from there she got her way up to Creme de la crème of India glitterati, and she has also designed clothes for princess Diana and the popular rock band Spice girls. She started the boutique trend and has a brand on her name ‘Ritu wears’. She was the first woman president for the Fashion Design Council of India .
3. Nita Ambani: the first that comes to your mind when you hear her name is the IPL matches cheering Mumbai Indians, she has earned her success through her hard fought 20:20 format of cricket, she may have married the India’s riches industrialist but she hasn’t rested upon that, her yearnings for philanthropy, and educations have done great to get her on to this position, she is the architect for the Dhirubhai Ambani International school and is the head of the Ambani foundation which supports the health and the education of the unprivileged.
4. Ekta Kapoor: Puff! Who wouldn’t have heard her name she is the queen of producing the daily soaps, we should be thankful to her, she keeps our grand mum’s and mum’s entertained, kidding! Though a daughter of a star, she has worked her way to success, she stated with the K series, yes! Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi, and now she and her mom are the managing director at Balaji. They have now ventured into movies also, the total revenue the company has been able to make is Rs322cr, for the financial year of 2014 .
Finance Queens The ladies in the finance sector have also done great, the chairpersons and MD of the top most banks like SBI, HSBC, HDFC, and ICICI bank are women.
1. Chanda Kocchar (MD&CEO of ICICI): a splendid source of inspiration for all the girls out there who want to get into the corporate world, she has been a winning star of the 90’s and her career took a zoom after that. Under Kocchar’s leadership ICICI won the ‘best retail bank’ of India in 2001-2005, and she was the ‘Best Business woman of the year’ by the ‘ Economic Times’, and she is my personal favourite.
2. Kalpana Morparia (CEO JP Morgan, India): her first job was as a school teacher. She later continued her studies, studying law and joined Jamiyatran& Madon. K.V Kamath was an angel in her life to shift to become a corporate lawyer, and she later went on to lead the banks treasury in 1996. She was later engaged with work for Kokilaben Ambani when her two sons Mukesh and Anil were at daggers drawn.
3. Arundhati Bhattacharya (chairperson, SBI): Also known as a banker to every Indian, has not only been the first lady to be the chairperson of SBI but also the only women banker to lead a fortune 500 company in India, she has worked at bank’s of New York city and has also help launch new businesses.
. 4. Shikha Sharma ( MD &CEO, Axis Bank): the reason for axis bank being in the forefront is due to Shikha Sharma. Her dream was to make Axis Bank among the big doers during the 2009 period of India. She has done great in the frontier of Axis Bank .
5. Shanti Ekambaram(President, KMB): Her first job was at Nova and later she got in contact with Kotak Mahindra Finance Company, she stayed back even after the troubles she went through and now she is the president of Kotak Mahindra Bank, Under her lead there was a 21% growth in the profits of the company, under her the gender diversity has increased in KMB, she is trained Bharatnatyam dancer and now she is also learning Karnatic music.
These stunning ladies are a great source of inspiration and have been a pride to our country. They have done great in diverse fields of business. So to all the aspiring ladies out in town, if they could do it, then why can’t you? Reach for the sky and you’ll reach the sky.