The Story Behind MH370

, , Leave a comment

The Malaysian airlines flight MH370 is scheduled to fly from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing, but due to certain reason it lost contact with air traffic control on 8 march at 1:20 MYT, which is less than an hour after the take off. She carried 12 crew members and 227 passengers from 14 nations.

All was going good till the first half an hour, she was flying like a happy bird, and that happened, something went wrong in her and the members in the control station also felt that. She was gone, away from the contact and nobody could trace her smoke even. She was scheduled to reach her destination at 06:30 local time. When the officials finally found that she was totally lost, the bird was flying at an altitude of 35000 feet at a speed of 471 knots (872km/hr). She changed her course not just once but more than that, at first she turned westwards, heading to Strait of Malacca, at that point of time she was flying at a very low altitude of 12000 feet, then she took off to southern Thailand Islands of Phuket, after that she was last plotted heading northwest.

route change.jpg

When she changed her course, the crew members were expected to contact the air traffic control, which did not happen, and an aircraft from Vietnamese airspace was attempting to reach out the Big Bird, but in vain.

Elapsed (HH:MM) Time Event
00:00 8 March 7 March Take-off from  Kuala Lumpur
00:41 16:41
00:20 01:01 17:01 Crew confirms altitude of 35,000 feet (11,000 m)
00:38 01:19 17:19 Last Malaysian Air Traffic Control voice contact
00:40 01:21 17:21 Last secondary radar contact
00:41 01:22 17:22 ADS-B and Transponder no longer operating.
00:49 01:30 17:30 Voice contact attempt by Vietnamese aircraft who heard mumbling and radio static as reply
01:34 02:15 18:15 Last primary radar contact by Malaysian military, 200 miles (320 km) North West of Penang
01:41 02:22 18:22 1st of 6 roughly hourly Classic Aero pings (handshakes) since last ACARS transmission, through satellite
05:49 06:30 22:30 Missed scheduled arrival Beijing
06:43 07:24 23:24 Malaysia Airlines lets out the news
07:30 08:11 8 March 6th and last successful automated hourly handshake with the satellite
08:34 09:15 01:15 Scheduled hourly ping attempt by the satellite goes in vain


During these mess up, the engine maker ROLLS-ROYCE was getting health reports every thirty minutes for five hours, which confirms that the bird was flying for another four hours , even after all the signals went off.

On March 11, it was found that the bird took a west turn and kept on flying about 70 minutes before it was lost from the radar. On March 15, The Prime Minister said that the last signal from the radar might have originated from the north of Kazakhstan, he also explained that the signal were not clear and they are not sure about the location, he also suggested that the bird could have entered the southern part of the world , but many countries like India, China, Thailand, Kazakhstan, Pakistan denied that the flight had not entered their country because if it had entered their military radar would have detected it.

On March 9, the search operations started, and the first area was in the Gulf of Thailand and South China Sea and the distance was about 20 nautical miles, when they found nothing in this area , the focus was shifted even more at about 100 nautical miles from the Strait of Malacca along the west coast of the Malay Peninsula.

On March 12, authorities also began to search the Andaman Sea, and the Malaysian government requested for help to the Indian government to search in the large waters. On March 13, the search operation was shifted towards Indian Ocean with a lot of countries helping in the operation. There were a lot of ships and flights in the search operation.

On March 17, the Australians also joined the search operation and agreed to focus along the southern locus from Sumatra to the Southern Indian Ocean with an area of 600000 kmand were searched by the Australian, New Zealand, and the United States. On 18 March, the search began with a single Royal Australian Air Force P-3 Orion aircraft. On 19 March, the search was started with three aircraft and three merchant ships;

The search was even more intensified on March 20, when they had the photography of the debris taken by the satellite four days before. Australian, Japan, US, New Zealand, China, New Zealand, military forces were sent to the area of debris. China published images from satellite Geofen 1 on 22 March that had photographed debris about 120 km south west of the previous sighting, On 26 March, images from French satellite showed 122 floating debris in the Indian ocean, while the Thai satellite showed images of 300 floating objects about 200 km away from the location told by the French.

A new search area was started on April 4, and covered about 1000 to 2100 kilometers west of Learmonth and ADV ocean shield fitted with a TPL-25 towed pinger locator, which could send echo to get any results regarding the plane. On April 6 the device detected two signals, first one in the morning which lasted up to 2 hour and 20 minutes while the other one took place about 3000 meters deep and lasted about 13 minutes. Two more signals were detected later on April 8, and it lasted up to 5 minutes and 32 seconds. By the 23 Aprils 10 operations were conducted.

On March 24, The Malaysian prime minister concluded that the bird had ended up its journey in the Indian Ocean with zilch survivors. Though it is very awkward about the missing bird and the reasons behind its course change and not being detected by any military radar is a fact that cannot taken away.

Share and Enjoy

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Delicious
  • LinkedIn
  • StumbleUpon
  • Add to favorites
  • Email
  • RSS